Thursday 2 September 2021

Five-Clue Cryptic (#3362)

4/5 was my first one attempted but last one in; it clearly had to be an anagram, but I could only think of SEARCH SWEET, which meant nothing to me.  So I started with 1d, which appeared to be a homophone; I correctly guessed PHASE IN even though the homophone (FEY SIN) didn't work for me, since I pronounce "phase" identically to "faze".  (Does anyone pronounce it like "face", as the clue suggests?)

The wading bird in 2d couldn't be a HERON, so it had to be an EGRET, leading to REGRETS.  Another bird in 3d, which was explicitly "hiding" in "Mr Edwin Gagiano" (a South African actor I'd never heard of), and so had to be REDWING.  (How often do we see "hiding" to indicate a hidden answer?  Perhaps the compiler was being deliberately kind today.)  6a was the fairly well-worn charade of IN-TENT, and now I had all the crossers to solve the anagram at 4/5: CHEESE STRAW.  Oddly satisfying.

Concise (#3362) 

A very groanworthy pun along the top line today: I assumed it was "injudicious", but it required considerable imagination to get it!  No real issues arising from the clues.  I noticed for the first time that JANUARY is one of only two months with seven letters (the other being OCTOBER), and I was pleased to see CAVA appear in a crossword, as I drink enough of the stuff.  (Cheaper, better produced and nicer-tasting than that Italian upstart Prosecco.)

Codeword (#3040)

The letters given were H, I and W, which didn't really suggest anything; the pattern down the left-hand side, with two H's separated by a single letter, was a bit puzzling.  I tentatively assumed that 26 must be E, from which followed IDEALLY and HEADLINE, and then CATCHPHRASE for the left-hand column, leading to the completed grid.

Cryptic by Serpent (#3298)

Link to idothei (blogged by jonofwales)
Link to Fifteensquared (





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monday 30 August 2021

Saturday 11 September 2021